Sunday mornings are yoga mornings, as I recover from Saturday’s kick ass workout (long run, extra hard spin class, whatever it may have been). I take my time in waking up, which usually translates to laying in bed with my eyes open trying to remember how I used to be able to sleep until 11 or until 12 as a teenager.
Today I baked. Though, I did not use flour or granulated sugar. This morning’s mission was adapting a gluten-free Paleo pumpkin walnut muffin recipe. The results? A little bit more cooking time than anticipated, a crumbly yet savory flavor, and a warm breakfast on a 37 degree April morning.
Paleo Pumpkin Walnut Muffins
(adapted from Carrots and Cake: http://carrotsncake.com/2012/03/paleo-pumpkin-walnut-muffins.html)
- 1 cup almond flour/meal
- 1 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. vanilla sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup walnuts
(- a handful of leftover black berries tossed in a the end)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all dry ingredients
3. Mix in all wet ingredients.
4. Spoon onto muffin pan or into silicone muffin cups (I LOVE these!)
5. Bake 40 minutes or until complete.
6. Cool, break open, top with a spoonful of almond butter and a small sliced banana.